Saturday, May 26, 2007

Armed Men Visits Liberian Police Chief


Men dressed in black described as armed robbers last Friday night attacked the Barnersville compound of Police Inspector General Beatrice Munah Sieh, and an officer of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Col. Edward Wreh, according to neighbors. Both homes are opposite each other.

Five police officers providing security at the compound are reportedly undergoing investigation, sources say.

Police Public Affairs Chief, Mr. Alvin Jask, when contacted, said he was verifying the news and would get back to this paper. Up to press, there was no word from the police.

The armed men, one who neighbors said carried a new AK-47, struck before the police chief arrived home. Neighbors said the police chief does not reside in the house but on Front Street, her actual residence. There is, however, a team of policemen stationed there.

One of the Police officers who was on duty the night the robbers struck said, the robbers put him at gun point and ordered him back in the Police chief’s compound.

“They were more than seven,” he said, adding, “I saw two AK-47 rifles with them.”
The officer, Randall Gaye, said the incident occurred after the heavy down pour of rain last Friday night. “The generator was off,” he said.

Officer Randall: “We were five on duty but three of our colleagues had gone on patrol. So, we were two that remained on guard. So I told my other colleague to be on the alight, asking that he go and check around the house. I came out by way of the small gate, and when I got out I saw a group of people.

They flashed the light on me. And asked me to go back in the fence. And I also asked them because I wanted to know who they were, and I said why is it that when you people come on patrol you like to flash light in your fellow officers’ eye. Then I saw arm pointing to me, they had two AK-47,” he said.

“I then took three steps back and entered the fence and ran to wake up the Director’s children informing them that we have been attacked by armed robbers. So we dialed 355, as I was in, they were bouncing on my friend, the next noise I heard after that was here (pointing to the Col Wreh’s house).

“I was in the room when I heard the noise outside, so I opened my door thinking that the police had arrested someone,” Col. Wreh explained.

“I wanted to see for myself. Right away a man with cutlass came to me and the rest numbering about six came in our house. They entered the children’s room and lifted up the arm against my daughter, who shouted loudest. Since then she has not recover from the trauma,” Col. Wreh added.

“I just took her from hospital,” an elderly woman, the girl’s mother said displaying few drugs.
The attack comes days after the Police Inspector General declared her force would ensure criminals have no hiding places, particularly as the rainy season approaches, a time of increase in criminal activities. Police thereafter announced the arrest of two men they said are the bosses of the feared Isakaba gangs roaming the city at night with machetes and guns.

Police sources and residents this week said the Barnersville community, where the police chief has her compound, has been under sustained armed attack for a week, leaving police helpless to launch a counter-offensive due to logistical and other inadequacies.

No comments: